Tuesday 11 September 2007

3 weeks left...

67 people from 13 different nations are gathered Sunday evening in a little town in Norway, Mandal. They are all dressed in red, white and blue. Some Norwegians are dressed in the Norwegian "Russe-costume", to show the internationals how Norwegians celebrate High School Graduation.
The first event on the program for this "Norwegian Evening", is a parade in the garden of Hald. All the students gather behind each other and start marching along, before seeing the flag raised on its pole.

The evening continues with plays, stories, songs and pictures; all presented by the Norwegians to teach the internationals what to expect in this cold country. The internationals don't understand the words when the hosts for the evening sing "Hun er forelska i lærer'n" ("She is in love with the teacher") - a very Norwegian song. But they laugh and enjoy the tune. The evening reaches its peak with Norwegian waffels and "sjokoladekake" (chocolatekake). When the food is all gobbled up, the students are ready to begin playing games. So they play "Musical Chairs". Just minutes after, the dancefloor is open and they all gather around to dance the next couple of hours. Who would have thought that the "Macarena"dance is the same in the poor countries of Africa, in South America and even in Norway? Well, we had lots of fun and felt it in our muscles the following day...

But the pain I felt may have been my muscles aching from the running I did Monday morning. I woke up at 6:30 and was going to be back 7:30. Unfortunately I got lost in the woods, and the route I ran became much longer. But I carried on, trying different paths, finding out I had run in circles... Typical. Anyway, I focused on the positive parts: 1) I got a really good workout, 2) I saw three beautiful deers looking me straight in the eyes.
I am still enjoying myself here at Hald, and today it is only 2 weeks and 6 days until I leave. 20 days!!! Am going home tomorrow, then I will have to do some practical things for the journey. Wow-Africa is waiting!
Here is a picture of my Ugandan friend Faith and me. Isn't she lovely? Isn't she beautiful?

2 comments:

Joseph Opanda Namutala said...

i think i like the additional photos. Joseph.

Joseph Opanda Namutala said...

beautiful posting about the norwegian party. am impressed. Joseph.