Friday 31 August 2007

Becoming Malagasy

Salama! Inona vaovao? Androany dia zoma! (Hello! Any news? It is Friday today!)

As you can see, I am in the process of learning Malagasy. If you had a look in my room, you would see many post-it notes all over the place. The yellow ones are nouns and the red are adjectives. For instance, on my bed there is a yellow note that says: "fandriana", "seng" and "kitanda". Let me explain: we are two girls learning Malagasy in my room ("fandriana"), one girl learning Norwegian ("seng") and one girl learning Swahili ("kitanda"). The funny thing about this word is that the village I am going to in Madagascar is called Fandriana! So in October I am finally going to bed! :) As you might understand, I also learn a few Swahili-words in this process. It's quite a good idea actually, because this way we see the words all the time and we can easily memorize them!



Every wednesday ("alarobia") and thursday ("alakamisy") we learn Malagasy from the two Malagasy exchange students. It's great! I'm really getting in the mood for Africa! :) This evening we are also going to meet the students from last year and we'll be able to ask questions etc... I'm looking forward to knowing more about what I'm going to do in "Bed". Hehe! ;)



Let me tell you more about my fantastic, white ("fotsy") room. The post-it notes are not the only things that are new. Eline (the girl I'm going to "Bed" with-wow that sounds strange!) went on a treasure hunt the other day and found a nice closet in the basement. "Why not drag this into our room and get it more cosy?" So now we have another place to store all our stuff. Delightful...! This morning she also surprised me with a black pussycat and a broken mirror! (No, she isn't superstitious...) You can imagine my surprise. She just said in a normal voice: "I found this cat in the hall. It's been inside the whole night. And this mirror isn't being used by anyone, it is just lying around in the basement..." Well, we patted the cat for a while before we set the poor thing free, but the mirror is still in our room. Eline is planning to buy something to hang it on. She is very sensible. That makes one of us, I guess... ;)



I tell you, nothing is boring when you live with Eline. She is full of fun ideas and has always a good comment ready. Here is a picture of the two of us on a "get-to-know-your-teammate-weekend"). I had to be blindfolded while she led me through the forest and vise-versa. I am really looking forward to going to Madagascar with Eline! :)

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds sweet :)

The Beasley's said...

The blindfolded part saounds really fun! That's a great idea of how to learn new words in a different language--I should've done that in highschool when I was learning spanish. October will be here before you know it, and off you'll go on your adventures :-)

Anonymous said...

That post-it idea of yours was a genius plan :)
Good luck in "bed"
Im really amazed by your english writing skill
Looking forward to next blog

Anonymous said...

hallois, Ingrid Karin.
Jeg satser p� � skrive p� norsk, og h�per at ingen tar det opp som en ekskluderende gest. Jeg leste at du sku v�re i madagaskar det neste �ret. Knallkult. Selv skal jeg haike dit, s� vi m�tes kanskje? Jeg er ikke helt sikker p� n�r vi(herman og meg) kommer dit, men regner med � rekke det til januar-februar, antakelig. Det hadde v�rt litt arti � sees..
B�rge..

Inki and Ole Einar said...

Stilig Børge! :) Du må ta kontakt når dere kommer ned! er det i noen spesiell anledning dere kommer? Friår? Hva driver du ellers med? Skal familien din ned forresten? Håper vi snakkes, det hadde vært kult! :)

Inki and Ole Einar said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Jeg har gått tre år på idrett på framnes vgs. Turen er mest et friår, som en liten pause. Mamma og pappa drar ut nå i oktober. De skal bo i Fandriana og Antsirabe. Bytte litt på, tror jeg. Jeg skulle gjerne skrevet litt mer, men jeg er trøtt og skal på jobb i morra. Hvis du har en mailadresse, kunne jeg lagra´n og kanskje sendt en mail. Hvis du lurer mer på turen, kan du se på www.loffetur.blogspot.com
snakkes.
Børge

Joseph Opanda Namutala said...

your blog is great. i look forward to read it always. Joseph.

yanmaneee said...

birkin bag
curry 6
balenciaga sneakers
air jordan
fila shoes
hermes bag
vans outlet
coach bags sale
adidas gazelle sale
nfl jerseys wholesale