Wednesday 24 October 2007

Monday's Challenges: Learning Malagasy. Feeling a bit sad...

Learning Malagasy is one interesting event. As my 5th language to learn, I must say that this seems like the one with the least variety of words. I mean, when almost every word starts with m, you’ve got to get confused. Mamy, mamo, mipetraka, manao, manasa, mianatra, mihinana, mahay, malala… Get one letter wrong, and you’ve got a totally different word. Today I really laid an egg. That’s at least what I told the housekeeper. “I’m pregnant, that’s why I didn’t eat all the potatoes.” Great. What I really meant was that I was full. Be voky and voky be are the same words just in the different order. Structure and place of the stress means everything in this idiom. The creativity of the people who formed this language can’t really be the best.
Take the word because as an example. In Malagasy you can say it in 4 different ways, and have a look at the possibilities: fa, nefa, anefa, kanefa… I don’t think I have to tell you that we sometimes get confused and roar with laughter from time to time.

And laughing is really something we need to do when we’re here. It can be the best medicine! Monday afternoon I didn’t laugh much, sadly enough. I was tired, hungry, stressed with all the Malagasy classes, homesick and on top of it all I felt really qouizy. (I blame some of it on the Malaria tablets I’m taking; I really hope they’ll do their job, when they have all these horrific side-effects…)
I sent a text message to my good friend Maria, and she answered back with a verse from the Bible. Philippians 4:13: “I can do all things through Him who strengthens me.” Was this letter written to me? It was certainly what I needed to hear. Reading more around this verse made me even more certain. I am in Madagascar because it’s God’s plan. He placed me here with these people for a reason, and these 6 months are going to make me ready for the rest of my life and form me as a person. Yeay! :-)
Hehe, I can’t help but laugh when I think about it now, as everything seems just right again. Just wanted to share with you readers in this world my great experience; that it really helps to read the Bible - whatever situation we’re in. I felt bad and might have felt even worse if I hadn’t read those comforting words. Jesus really is the best psychologist and the BEST medicine. And He is one I don’t have to miss while I’m down here. I am so glad I’m a Christian, it makes life magnificent! :-)

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hehe, det kan virke ut som at han som fant opp språket i Madagaksar benyttet seg av "Mora mora" prinsippet :)

Mr. Ukulele said...

And best of all, there's no horrific side effects to that medicine, eh? :)

Anyway, God has a purpose with all. He does not force us though, but has equipped us with means such as intellect, empathy and compassion so that we will know his purpose ourselves. I'm glad you found his in you, and wanted to follow it ;)

Until next time, enjoy ^^

Anonymous said...

To måneder og to dager:)

The Beasley's said...

Great and inspiring post! I'm a part of a Young Mom's Bible study, and today we just talked about God molding us and shaping us continually. That's exactly what He's doing with you, and the amazing thing is--He's NEVER done with us! What a comforting thought!

Anonymous said...

Det var jo fint du ikkje var bevoka, då! Og bra du var voky be! kanefa: tsara ny sakafo malagasy rehetra! Good luck as time flies down there!
helsing mamsen

Mr. Ukulele said...

Mamsy us fluent? :O

Elisabeth Mulelid Nordstrand said...

Hei Inki
Kult aa lese litt/masse av hva du opplever nede paa Madagaskar! Du e flinbk aa oppdatere!! :D hehe...
Du maa kose deg masse!!
Klem fra Elisabeth

Sammy said...

Those are good experiences, I like your attitude. All the best.